Prom Dress Alteration May 13 2019, 0 Comments
This prom dress was purchased online and was 2 sizes to big.
I will show you how I altered it to fit this young lady perfectly.
About 3" needed to come out of the shoulders. We pinned it up and I removed lace from where the seam needed to go. Basted - double checked and then stitched a secure seam. I cut the seam allowance away to 1/4" from on the back allowance and 1/2" on the front allowance. I wrapped the extra front seam allowance over the back, hand stitched it down and reapplied the lace to cover seam.
In the center front the bodice was to wide. A dart was taken up following the line of the insert. Later small pieces of lace that were taken off from the shoulder were reapplied to cover the bluntness of the seam in the center.
The back zipper was taken out but only to about 3" from the bottom of the zipper. I moved it to the pinned location and Stitched it down. This gave a dart effect and because of the fullness of the skirt all blended in nicely. This left more at the top but I closed it with a hook and thread loop.
This is how I made the loop cord.
This is how I inserted the cord to the zipper. Lace was reapplied at the top back to cover the hook.
This was all done in about 6 hrs. I got the dress on Wednesday and it was picked up on Friday.
A Blanket Made From a Special Dress May 18 2018, 7 Comments
I kept thinking: “what about Jonathan.” I felt he was giving up something that was very dear to him — a connection that he had kept for 3 years as he grieved the loss of his family. The whole bodice was still unused; so I made a bear from a Carol’s Zoo pattern which has only 2 pieces for front and back. The smallest bear fit perfectly on the bodice front and back.
I thought I was finished but there staring at me was the inside bodice lining — the outline of her shoulders and neck. I couldn’t let it go. I used a piece left from the backing fabric of the blanket to make it a square then placed batting below and stippled the lining. With the few scraps I had left, I cut out 3 butterflies in different sizes and appliquéd them to the bodice lining.
With no more of the backing fabric left, I added black satin for the pillow back, cut and appliquéd the last bit of the dress fabric into the shape of a dress.
My carefully thought out efforts were well—received. While I was the one who stitch these loving gifts, I must say it was all God—led from the minute I walked into the store looking for a backing fabric to the last stitch of the pillow. I wish Jonathan peace and comfort. He is a very special person and I was honored to be included in this special project!
Bobbin-work and Texture October 19 2016, 2 Comments
Using heavy threads in the bobbin:
- Wind the bobbin slowly and evenly by holding your finger around the tension disk.
- Do not fill bobbin all the way.
- A 8" X 10" fabric will make a new front for your Cross Talk Cell Carrier.
- Steam for texture.
Project: Cross Talk Cell Carrier. Written instructions on at www.alldunndesigns.com
Coloring and Applying Lace. June 02 2016, 0 Comments
There is often a problem with the color of a lace. If it is white it looks dressy or it doesn't match the fabric. Here is a jacket (Bias Jacket) that has white lace I painted to match the fabric. Since there were many colors to work with I just kept applying it with all the colors of Dye-n-Flow paint by Jaquard. Some of them I mixed to get a deeper tone. This is a very watery dye type paint that will work with natural or synthetics. Watch the video's on how I did it.
Paint the lace:
Watch how to apply:
Lace available at All Dunn Designs.
New Vest Pattern February 07 2016, 0 Comments
My new vest pattern called "The Long and the Short of It" is easy to make and comfortable to wear. I have made it from all kinds of fabrics from rayon to polyester chiffon. The easiest is making it from 2 pashmina scarves. Because the scarf is interesting on both sides, I made a flat seam so it could be reversible. Here is the video on how I did the seam. Make this pattern up in your favorite fabric by April 30, 2016, send me a picture and you will get your name in a drawing for a pair of 10" serrated KIA scissors (valued at $89). Drawing will happen on May 1st.
Afterthoughts - making pillows from Sweaters August 15 2015, 1 Comment
Simple Little Purse - Create a new look! February 13 2014, 0 CommentsBecome a Pattern MD - (modify designer)
OPERATION - Change the "Simple Little Purse" flap into a looped closure
Use the Simple Little Purse FREE pattern on the website.
- Take away the flap pattern. Measure from back top at opening to front where you want a button closure - double length and add 1".
- Cover a narrow cord the fininshed length. Double cord. Using a zig zag stitch, join cord from raw edge to about 2 1/2" from looped edge. The loop will close purse by hooking on button.
3. Insert raw end of cord onto top back. (follow same directions for inserting flap)
4. Measure your desired length for handle (add 4" to cord length). Make fabric covering 4" longer then cord.
5. Cut end of fabric at 45 degree angle. Tie a knot in cord at each end.
6. Place cord against side of purse allowing 2" to hang down and stitch to bag side.
7. Fold corners of bag together and stitch a pleat enclosing handles inside pleat.
8. Stitch button in place.
You have a new look to your simple purse. You are now a Pattern MD - OPERATION SUCCESSFUL!
A New Pillow Case September 12 2013, 0 Comments
I have made a new type of pillow case. This has a modern look for a great gift. I now have posted the instructions with the template on my website AND a video making the case from start to finish on youtube - all FREE! A Mod Case
By the way I like the polyester satin at Hobby Lobby the best. They have lots of bright modern colors too!